Without a sewing machine, the world would be a very different place. Like a car, a cotton gin and countless other innovations from the last 300 years, the sewing machine takes something time-consuming and laborious and makes it easy and fast.
With the invention of the mechanized sewing machine, manufacturers can quickly produce a pile of high-quality clothing at a minimum cost. Because of this technology, most people in the world can now afford the sturdy, smooth-stitched clothes that were a luxury over 200 years ago.
There are hundreds of models on the market, and they vary in price and performance. At the low end of the scale, there are traditional no-frills electric designs, ideal for home use; at the high end, there is the modern electronic machine that hooks up to a computer. The below points will briefly show how it works.
• A threaded needle punches the fabrics and the hook from the rotator shuttle extension. Then it takes the thread into fabrics in such a way that it creates the loop.
• Once it forms the loop, the bobbin passes the thread and gets locked with the one coming from the needle.
• Then the needle moves up and tightens the thread. Then it forms a nice stitch. It repeats this process over and again to make a perfect stitch.
Steps to Use the Sewing Machine
Start the machine and follow the steps mentioned below:
• Take the spool and locate the metallic or plastic spool pin that sticks out on the top of the machine.
• Take a thread from the spool and find the bobbin winder which is another metallic pin. Fill the bobbin winder with thread and stop one filled with bobbin winder stopper. Then place the bobbin in a bobbin case and set at the bottom.
• Thread the needle going through all the thread feed. You can take help from the manual given with the machine.
• Place the fabric below the pressure foot. Pull the pressure foot for placing.
• Hold the loose end of both the thread coming from bobbin and needle. Keep the thread from receding into the fabrics.
• Hold the fabric in lines given on a metal plate. Now press the foot pedal and machine will start working. Remember, the foot pedal is your speed controller just like the gas pedal in the car.
• For precision, you can stabilize the machine using machine pulley. Also, you can move the needle by hand using the wheel.
• Find the reverse lever for reverse sewing to seal the stitch. It will give a better finish in the fabrics.
• Once you reach the endpoint on one side and then have a 90o turn. Stop the machine with the needle down inside the fabric. Then the pull the pressure foot lever up and rotate the fabrics on your side. Then push the lever down and start stitching.
• After finishing the stitching, stop the machine and pull the pressure foot again. Remove the fabric and cut the thread.
The sewing machines are very common appliances that you will find in every home. We hope our guide pointed out about every single step of using a sewing machine.
Although every sewing machine has different properties, we believe that you will not find any difficulties. Now you have an idea and know how to use the machine. So, you are ready to start your crafting journey. Make your home beautiful with a beautiful craft.